Wednesday, November 2, 2011

Meet the Oliveaire Team: Sr. Event Architect Adel Domingo

It takes a team to provide all of the services we offer at Oliveaire, all of us have our unique roles, personalities and styles. In the coming weeks you will have the chance to meet the team that makes the Oliveaire experience.

Enjoy getting to know Adel Domingo, Sr. Event Architect with Oliveaire. If you’d like to talk to her about planning your wedding or special event contact her at 847-885-3200 or e-mail her here.


What is your favorite part of planning a wedding?
It’s that moment when my bride and groom start trusting me. That means all will be well because we can tackle anything at that point. That trust between the clients and me is vital.

How would you describe your style?
As a planner I love taking care of my clients by simply listening, responding with a real, relaxed enthusiasm, and executing patiently. I’m a calm person and I think my clients and vendors feel it and they stay calm. I do love researching what my clients like and don’t like, I take great interest in each client I work with. After I’m done with an event, I keep a few notes and photos in their file to remind me how unique they are.

What one piece of advice would you give a newly engaged couple?
The wedding of your dreams is possible, just be realistic with your time and budget.

Do you have a favorite wedding moment or event?
It would have to be when I see the couple’s body language when they are announced as husband and wife. They are just so relaxed and relieved that the main part is over. You can feel everybody exhaling.

How would you describe what you do every day?
It’s sort of this crazy job but it takes a sane person to do it. Most of the time during the planning and creative process, it seems like my day is full of phone calls to vendors, email correspondence, reading, research, and making appointments. Creating time lines takes great focus and sometimes I like to do them in the middle of the night when it’s quiet. Despite what people see in the movies, it’s not always glamorous and easy. Time goes fast for planners; we know how much time a task takes even while a couple does not. We treat time like gold. I also know I can’t take being a part of an important event for granted so despite being laid back and calm, I get very serious and nervous and double check everything leading up to an event.

What advice would you give someone who wants to start working in the event industry?
If you don’t like people, don’t do it. Plan several personal events on your own, take a course, get a great pair of comfortable shoes, and work as an intern. When you want to take the plunge, try it out for a year and see if you still love it. If you can answer an emphatic YES, then it’s for you.

What did your wedding meal look like?
My husband and I were young and did not have the wisdom in planning menus and picking a good caterer like we do now. Our wedding meal was a buffet of mediocre roast beef, Spanish rice, and I don’t remember the rest. I do remember our hazelnut-flavored wedding cake being delicious and the German wine was great.

If we ever do plan a menu for a future wedding anniversary party, I would probably do an authentic mixture of Asian and Mexican fare, my favorite kinds of food, with great bottles of wine and beer and a mojito bar.


Thanks Adel for the great interview.

BBFN (Bridal Bliss for Now),
Olivia



No comments:

Post a Comment