Wednesday, September 1, 2010

To Dos Before I Do, Will You?

There are many fun things to do when planning a wedding. As a bride you use your creativity in designing the look of your day, you dive into luscious fabric while choosing the gown of your dreams, and there are parties with friends and family to be enjoyed.

However, there is that nagging “to do list” of not so fun items. This includes applying for a marriage license, getting documents together if you are planning to change your name and working with an attorney to create a pre-nuptial agreement, if you so choose.

I’m not sure if it’s thanks to Kanye West, or just our societal standards, but pre-nups seem to be a taboo subject to discuss. Many brides and grooms feel that they do not need a pre-nuptial agreement, and that might absolutely be the case. Here is the thing, if you decide to end your marriage, in the absence of a pre-nuptial agreement drafted by you and your fiancé, you are subject to state law for the division of your assets and all other proceedings.

That may be fine with you. More than likely you do not know exactly what that entails; I’m guessing most of us don’t. So, while I truly hope that every marriage lasts a lifetime, statistics tell me otherwise. My suggestion, while of sound mind, and absolute confidence that you will be with your significant other for all the days of your life, at least have a conversation with an attorney to know what the laws are in your state regarding divorce. I kind of look at it like creating a will or purchasing life insurance. I hate to think of myself dying young, but if it should happen I want to leave my family in the best position possible.

After your talk with the attorney, go out and celebrate the fact that you will NOT be one of those statistics!

BBFN (Bridal Bliss for Now),
Olivia

No comments:

Post a Comment